Tuesday, February 1, 2011

these are the best days!

With temperatures eight below zero and wind chills of -34 what a better day to stay inside and bake. Not only does it make the house smell wonderful it also makes you feel warm and cozy. and... here is a little heating trick. I also leave our oven door open after i am done baking to help heat the house! (Yes, I know I am a woman trying to take advantage of any heating source I can to try and save on gas/heating costs!)

So first I thought I would bake some chocolate chip cookies for dessert. I have to admit there is nothing like homemade cookies and ice cream!!! Then later tonight I am planning on making Italian Pasta and Bean Soup. Haven't tried this one before... but it sounds yummy!
Here are the recipes for both~

italian pasta and bean soup
makes 9 cups/serves 6

1tbl plus 2tsp olive oil
1 med onion - chopped
2tbl minced garlic
6 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
1 1/2 pasta (farfallini in supposed to be the best for this recipe).
2 cans cannellini beans, rinsed/drained
1 can diced tomatoes
1/2 cup chopped parsley
1/4 cup grated parmesan
Heat 1 tbl oil in saucepan over med heat. add onion and saute for 5 minutes. add garlic and cook stirring for 1 minute.
add broth and bring to boil. add pasta and cook for 5 minutes.
stir in beans and tomatoes, cook for 4 minutes or until pasta is tender. remove from heat
stir in parsley, cheese and remaining 2 tsp olive oil.
suggested side: garlic bread

mom's chocolate chip cookies
makes 48 cookies

1 cup butter (two sticks)
1/2 c sugar
1 c brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
2 1/2 c flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt (eyeball it!)
2 c chocolate chip cookies
your choice of nuts - optional

preheat oven to 375 degrees. cream butter sugars and egg. add dry ingredients and vanilla. mix well. add chocolate chips and nuts.spoon cookie dough on baking sheets with spoon or cookie drop.
i like to keep the cookie drop overflowing so they is more dough for each cookie. makes them each unique!
BAKE 375 degrees for 8 minutes

best with: vanilla ice cream
bon appetite!

2 comments:

Ryan and Carly said...

delicious! i'll have to try both recipes!

The Lautenbach's said...

The best, tried and true. Also good with a big glass of milk or "Silk" Hee Hee
love,
MOM